There are currently seventy-nine books in my Goodreads account that I want to read and ninety-eight on my Storytel bookshelf. I read, on average, three books a week. Fortunately, the list keeps growing, which means I have to make beautiful choices.
How do I decide which book to read and when? This is my system, and I hope it inspires you to build your own:
Want to read list
- 📌 If I come across an interesting book, I first add it to Goodreads. Not only for myself but also for my followers who want to know what I read. Once a week I check Goodreads and sort out all the newly added books, change the status of read books (and remove the ones I've decided that I'm not going to read.)
- ❤️ Then I search for the book on Storytel as an audiobook. Not all books are available, so some are automatically dropped. If the book is available, I will put it on my bookshelf by pressing the heart.
When do I read what?
There are several times for me when I read or listen to books. Depending on the activity, I choose one of the following book types.
👔 Biography and self-help
When driving, cycling, exercising, or doing the housework, I choose a business book that inspires me. This is because I can occasionally miss a few seconds when my attention is away doing my tasks. Books such as a biography or self-help are ideal for that.
When I go for a walk, lie down or sit down to relax, I choose a book where I teach myself skills, such as sales, marketing, management, or my favorite subject: entrepreneurship. I can then fully concentrate and absorb all the details of the book. This is where I occasionally read a printed book.
Before going to sleep, in bed, I read on my Kindle. In the bedroom - apart from the Kindle - I have no electronics. So to fall asleep with a calm feeling, I mainly read military thrillers. Not too tense, but exciting enough to want to go to bed to finish the story. When I am asleep, my girlfriend removes the device from the bedroom.
How do I decide which book to read and when?
Three factors influence the choices within those moments, in order of importance:
- 😀 What is going on in my life that needs attention today?
- 🤓 What's going on in a client's life that needs attention?
- 🤔 What was recommended to me by one of my mentors?
Especially with what needs my attention, I look at my feelings and needs. For example, when I'm feeling a little more discouraged, I need motivational books, and when I'm energetic, I read more about improving my skills. Flow! I am also susceptible to the latest trends, what is new and what do I want to implement as soon as possible in my work or private life? Traction!
I always have multiple books going on. On average, eight books parallel.
My routine when I finish a book
- ⭐ Give the book I have finished a star rating on Kindle of Storytel. It's a reward for the author and should always be done out of respect.
- ✍️ Then, if I want to recommend the book to my followers, I'll make a note to write an extensive written review for Goodreads, Storytel, and on my website. I will give it some thought and place it later. Sometimes weeks later.
- ⏭️ I sort my Storytel list by release date. Usually, there is a book within the top five that meets my criteria. Then, open the book for the next reading session.
- ✅ Change the setting in Goodreads from 'Want to Read' to 'Read.'
Then there is one last option that goes beyond the above. I receive countless books as gifts from my publisher, connections, and authors who want me to review their books. Those books are now in a big pile in the kitchen. Most of them find a way to an enthusiast. But sometimes I grab a book and take it to the balcony or sofa to read it. They often end up in a pile anyway. Or I have read them on Kindle or Storytel.
There is still a lot to say about how I read books. But I am also curious about your system. Does this post inspire you to read more books? Or to change your book reading habbits? Please let me know!