Types of data we collect and how we obtain it
We obtain information about you when you disclose it to us in the course of using our services, such as:
- Your name and email address when you register a user account
- Information shared with us when you contact us for assistance or support
- Your billing information when you subscribe to any of our paid services
- Any information you share when you upload content to a website hosted by us
We collect contact information when you communicate with us through specific channels of communication, such as:
- Your email address when you communicate with us through email
- Your social media handle when you share with us via social media
We gather technical information relating to you when you use our services, such as:
- Your internet protocol (IP) address
We may also obtain information about you where it is publicly available or where required or permitted by law.
How we use data
We only use your data where permitted by law.
Most commonly, we will use your data to perform a contract entered into with you, where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests, and/or where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
This includes the following general purposes:
- Register you as a subscriber, including creating your subscriber account
- Record when a member opens an email
- Record when a member clicks on any link in an email
- Track which sources and posts are driving the most member growth
- Providing support or assistance to you and responding to your queries
- Processing and managing your payments if you subscribe to our paid newsletter
- Providing you with marketing or other communications to your preferences
- Responding to your messages by email, social media, or other channels of communication
- Managing our relationships with you, such as notifying you about changes to our services, updates to the terms and conditions of any service, or asking you to leave a review or participate in a survey
We will only use your data for the purposes we collected it unless required or permitted by law.
Suppose you have elected to receive messages from us. In that case, we will direct relevant advertisements to you and make suggestions or recommendations about goods or services that may interest you.
A cookie is a small amount of data that often includes a unique anonymous identifier sent to your browser from a website's computers and stored on your computer's hard drive. Cookies are required to use the Ghost.org service Sebastiaan Hooft runs on.
How we share data
We take reasonable measures to ensure that third parties with whom we collaborate protect your data. Sebastiaan Hooft does not sell your data.
Integration with third parties
Sebastiaan Hooft integrates with third-party platforms to provide a seamless range of features and services, such as Ghost.org, SoundCloud, Twitter, Spotify, and Songkick. Where you request integrations with third parties, we may share data with them as required to facilitate and give effect to the integration.
Ghost.org's servers are located in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. By using Sebastiaan Hooft, you consent to transferring and storing your data on their servers. From time to time, Ghost.org may also use third-party vendors and hosting partners to store data. These third-party vendors and hosting partners may be located in a country other than The Netherlands or your country of residence. You also agree to us sharing data from you with their third-party vendors and hosting partners so that they can provide you with our services.
Disclosures required by law
Sebastiaan Hooft may disclose your data under particular circumstances, such as where required by any applicable law or regulation.
You may withdraw your consent to our use of your data at any time.
Access and correction of your data
The personal data we hold about you must be accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your data changes during your relationship with us. You may request access to your data and correction of incomplete or inaccurate personal data at any time.
Retention of personal data
Sebastiaan Hooft retains your data (i) where necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it; (ii) where necessary for business or legal purposes; or (iii) where required or permitted by law.